Friday, January 21, 2011

34 YEARS AGO TODAY - JANUARY 21, 1977 - IT'S A BOY!

This is me on January 20, 1977, the night before my firstborn was to arrive.  I was 21 years old, two weeks overdue for delivery, and had not had even one contraction.

After seeing my doctor and having an x-ray, I found out that the baby was breach and huge, so I checked into the hospital to prepare for a C-section in the morning.

I was so scared!

And just a little irritated that I was not going to get to use all the cool things I had learned at Lamaze class!




Barry Alan was born at 9:12 am on January 21, 1977.  He weighed 9 lbs. 5 oz. and measured 21" long.

This is his first photo, which was taken by his dad in the hall the first time they met.

Because he was long overdue and big, he did not really look like a newborn baby.  Plus, he was delivered by C-section, so he did not have that "fresh squeezed" baby look.






This is the first picture of Barry and me.  I think he was a couple of days old here.

I had a rough time with the surgery, and I was probably not up to having a picture taken right away.

Back in the good old days, they did not kick you out of the hospital within hours of giving birth.  And, because of surgery, I got to stay a whole week.


 The day we were ready to go home, I remember thinking, "What are they thinking?  Are they really going to just let me walk out of here with this baby?  I have no idea how to take care of him!"

This is the first photo of Bill and Barry.  It was taken at our home the day we got out of the hospital.

I also have a strong memory of seeing a cat walking into my living room.  My first thought was, "Why is there a cat in my house?"  Before Barry was born, my cat was my baby.  While I was in the hospital, I forgot she existed.




Here is Barry today, along with his lovely wife, Laura, their daughter Annelise and their son Will.

Happy Birthday, Barry!  I love you!

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures, thanks for sharing. Your family is beautiful!
    My little sister had her first baby at 19 (before I had any thoughts of having any of my own) and I remember being so scared for her, how was she ever going to take care of that little baby.
    Really cute pictures of you Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete