Sunday, June 9, 2013

NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS - MONTH 11 RESULTS

On July 9, 2012, I started eating in such a way as to be fueled by Nutritional Ketosis.  If you are new here and do not know what that means, look at the links at the bottom of this post to read more about it in detail.  The short version is this:  I am eating very high fat, moderate protein and very low carb.  For the first several weeks, I was testing my blood ketone levels with a hand held monitor.  I have stopped doing this because the strips are very expensive and I know that I am in the "zone" that I want to be.  Because I have not changed the way I am eating, and I continue to lose body fat, it is reasonable to assume that I am still in Nutritional Ketosis.  If I start to gain body fat or change the way I am eating, I will do more testing.

In the past seven months, I stopped weighing and measuring and tried to eat instinctively.  That worked for a few months, but around the holidays at the end of 2012, I started gaining weight again, and when I went on vacation in February 2013, I really lost control and gained.  From the 2012 holidays until May 26, 2013, here is what happened:

Gained 11.1 pounds of body fat
Lost 1.5 pounds of lean body mass

Gained 1/4" around my neck
Gained 1" around my bust
Gained 2-3/4" around my waist
Gained 2-1/8" around my belly
Gained 2" around my hips
Gained 3/4" around each of my thighs
Gained 1-4" around each of my calves

Gained 5.4 percentage points onto my body fat
Lost 5.4 percentage points off my lean body mass

So, I started careful tracking my food, my weight and measurements again on May 26, 2013, and I am going to try to post a report once per month.

As you can see from my charts, there is a large blank between November 2012 and May 2013, when I was not weighing and measuring, and you can see how I am starting off heavier and larger than when I started NK back in July 2012.

The darker lines are my actual numbers, taken each Sunday morning before eating and the lighter lines are the average of the prior eight weeks, so I can see the trend without all the bouncing around.



These charts show the average of the macro nutrient breakdown for the days that I tracked in these past two weeks. (Click on any chart to enlarge it.)



Here is my "body goal":

136 pounds scale weight
40.9 pounds body fat (30%)
95.1 pounds lean mass (70%)
11-3/4" neck
28-3/8" waist
38-1/2" hips
To get there, I need to lose 14 pounds of body fat, gain 3.8 pounds of lean mass and lose 1/8" around my neck, 4" around my waist and 2-1/4" around my hips.

At the end of May, I started The Virgin Diet to try to isolate some food intolerances I thought I might have.  It was definitely a higher carb diet than I was used to, and I immediately started gaining weight and, on June 6, I modified it so that I could continue doing it low carb.  To read about that, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment