Sunday, August 4, 2013

ZERO CARB - WEEK 2 RESULTS


Just eat meat.  

That is what I have been doing for two weeks now.  Well, mostly meat, anyway.  As you can see by my food diaries below, there were two days that I ate a few bites of vegetables and a few days that I ate a few bites of dark chocolate.

Here are my food logs:

On July 28, I ate beef, fish, eggs, homemade beef bone broth, healthy fats, cod liver oil and water and found that my blood sugar was very stable and in the acceptable range, even though I ate some cheese.  I also checked my blood ketones in the morning, and they were 0.9.  Not as high as I would like, but still in the ketosis range.

(click chart to enlarge)
(click chart to enlarge)

On July 29 through July 31, I ate beef, fish, eggs, homemade beef bone broth, healthy fats, cod liver oil and water.  I did not check my blood glucose every day, because I know that eating this way is keeping my blood glucose stable and at a good level.  I did check it on July 31 an hour after dinner, and it was 85.

(click chart to enlarge)
(click chart to enlarge)
(click chart to enlarge)

On August 1, I ate beef, chicken, eggs, homemade beef bone broth, healthy fats, cod liver oil and water.  I also ate 1 grape tomato and 1 small square of 70% dark chocolate.

(click chart to enlarge)



On August 2, I ate beef, polish sausage, homemade beef bone broth, healthy fats, a small amount of lemon juice, a few drops of Stevia extract, cod liver oil and water.  I also ate 1 small square of 70% dark chocolate.

(click chart to enlarge)

On August 3, I ate polish sausage, eggs, beef, a dill pickle spear, a few bites of salad, homemade beef bone broth, healthy fats, cod liver oil and water.

(click chart to enlarge)

BLOOD KETONES

At 9:30 pm on August 3, I checked my blood glucose and blood ketones.  I know that it was a few hours since I had eaten, but I did it anyway.  My blood glucose was 72 and my blood ketones were 4.3.  I have never had a ketone reading this high before, so I am pretty happy about that.  I usually only check it in the morning, and it is a lot lower than that!  Evidently, eating a couple of bites of vegetables and a couple of bites of dark chocolate did not kick me out of ketosis.


MY EXCESS BODY FAT 

As I mentioned last week, my main concern is that I regulate my blood sugar, but I still have too much body fat and I'm hoping this way of eating will help me in that regard. 

I decided at the beginning of this past week that I was going to stop weighing on the bathroom scale, because knowing what you weigh outside of knowing your body fat percentage is pretty useless.  So I am going to continue measuring my neck, waist and hips to get my approximate body fat percentage using this free, online calculator.  That way I will be able to track my progress in a more meaningful way.  So, my charts below will not show what I weigh or how many pounds of body fat and/or lean mass I have gained or lost.  Here are my charts:




As you can see, my body size is pretty much going nowhere.  This coming week, I am going to change what I am eating a little bit to see if I can get things moving.  These are the average macronutrient intakes during Weeks 1 and 2:

(click chart to enlarge)
(click chart to enlarge)

This week, I am going to adjust my food to the following:

1440 Calories
120g fat (75%)
90g protein (25%)

I am tempted to go back to eating around 60g of protein per day, but I want to keep trying to be able to eat more protein than that.  And since I know that I am in ketosis even when I am eating more than 100g of protein, I am only going to cut it back a little bit to see if I can shake things up.  The last time I was losing well, I was eating around 60g, but I may be able to eat more than that, so I'll see how things go this week.

I am lowering the fat grams just a little, in the hope that it will encourage my body to burn some of its own fat instead of the fat I am eating.  I may just be getting a little too much fuel.  Again, we'll see.


STILL NO VEGGIES

Aside from the couple of bites I had of vegetables this past week, I am still zero carb and feeling okay about it.  I am not really missing vegetables, so I am going to not eat any this week.

RELATED POST:  Zero Carb Results by Week

8 comments:

  1. Very interested to see what happens. I'm kinda surprised to didn't more change in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Celesta, and I'm surprised, too, that there was not a body fat loss. I guess I have more tweaking to do...

      Delete
  2. Interesting body you have there Rebecca!!! Good goin for adherence tho. (y)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was interested to see what my body fat came out as using that calculator - it was approx. 23%. However, I recently had a Bod Pod analysis done and was horrified to learn that my body fat is 42%. Now, I'm post-menopausal but even so, it's rather a shock, particularly as my BMI is <22. There's been a fair amount of research attention to body fat volume that indicates it is widely underestimated by most methods and that the phenomenon of TOFI (thin outside, fat inside) may be more widespread than suspected, even for people in the 'normal' BMI range.

    Going by the usual body fat image charts, I look somewhere between 23-25% body fat so it's interesting to see just how concealed visceral fat can be (my waist to hip is approx. 0.65 and I don't have biomarkers for diabetes or CVD).

    I've been following a ketogenic protocol to manage migraine so I shall follow your account with interest. (The protocol has been very successful for managing both frequency and intensity of migraine.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evidently, this comment got lost in my email. So sorry for the delay!

      It seems so odd that your body fat is as high as it is. I wonder if they made a mistake on the Bod Pod...

      Anyway, thanks for reading and commenting, Gina! Please let me know how you are doing!

      Delete
  4. I just found your blog...way to go! I will be starting keto in about a month and have been reading my butt off on the background, science and pretty much anything I can get my hands on. I would recommend you check out LCHF AMERICA - she's pretty funny, has some great advise and some good recipes too!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Trinkystar! Keep me posted once you get started.

      Delete