Saturday, March 26, 2016

DAY 86 - 2016 WEIGHT LOSS AND BLOOD GLUCOSE CHALLENGE

January 11, 2016

Today is Day 86

Weight goal - 137 or lower
Actual weight - 137.4

Blood glucose goal - 77 or lower
Actual blood glucose - 78

Today is a Fast Day.



For me, that means that all I will have today is water, coffee, tea, or broth, all without caloric sweeteners or fat.  Each day, I will weigh in, check my fasting blood glucose, find out if I will feast or fast that day, update my chart and post it here on the big blog. I'm posting it to motivate myself not to give up, and if I think that anyone is looking at this, it will help to keep me accountable.

I did bounce up in weight from my low after fasting for two days, but that was to be expected.  I
ate yesterday, but did not have a good time doing it.  I made low carb cheesy biscuits and had them with bacon for breakfast, and that part was great!

 But then I had the leftover cheeseburger casserole for lunch and it made me sick to my stomach.  I think it was in the fridge too long.  I even wondered if my BG had crashed, so I checked it and it was 71, too high to consider hypoglycemia.


Then a quilting customer came over and brought over a loaf of fresh out of the oven and still warm homemade potica and I must admit I had a bit.  My Czechoslovakian grandmother made this all the time, and I could not resist tasting it again after probably 35 or 40 years!  Of course, she developed Type 2 Diabetes eating that kind of food, so it is not something I want to do with any regularity!




For dinner, I had chicken thigh and sauteed mushrooms and onions with cream and butter, and, even though I did not overeat, I felt overly full and uncomfortable for the rest of the night until bedtime.

As you can see by my numbers, I only barely missed being able to eat today, but I'm actually relieved.  I am getting into the swing of fasting, and am really starting to think that alternate day fasting might be a good way to maintain weight and FBG.  It's not hard.

I shouldn't say it's not hard.  Would it be easier to eat every day?  Sure.  But you have to pick which "hard" you are going to do.  It's hard to fast every other day.  It's hard to be overweight and diabetic.  So which one do I choose?

85 DAYS DOWN AND 6 DAYS TO GO

53 FEAST DAYS AND 33 FAST DAYS - FASTING 38% OF THE DAYS

16.6 POUNDS GONE AND 1.4 POUNDS TO GO

92% OF THE WAY TO MY GOAL AFTER 95% OF THE DAYS

7-DAY AVERAGE WEIGHT - 138.4

7-DAY AVERAGE FASTING BLOOD GLUCOSE - 71

I made a few charts to track my progress.  The grey lines are my long term goals. The blue lines are my actual results.  The red lines are my 7-day averages. The last chart is a little heat map to show at a glance how often I have actually had to fast to achieve the results I am after. Click on any chart or photo to enlarge it.


This is a personal challenge just for me, but if anyone reading would like to join me, please talk to your doctor and make sure that it will not conflict with your current medical condition or medications.  If you are taking the challenge, please be sure to let me know how you are doing!  Thanks for reading!

To find out more about this challenge - the rules and how it started - click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment